The Rumson Fire Company was started in September of 1905
when a small group of men met in the old school house that was located at approximatley the same place as
the current firehouse on East River Road. Their charter was received on January 18, 1906.
The first firehouse was built on Center Street by William Pearsall. This building still exists today
as the Rumson Women’s Club. The first hose wagon was built in Sea Bright by John Eyles
and delivered in July of 1906. The borough of Shrewsbury donated the hose for this wagon. By the end
of 1908 the company had grown to 67 active members. In August of 1911 the company not only won the
State championship for horse drawn apparatus but also broke the world record in doing so.